verb[with object] (usually be contraindicated) Medicine
(Of a condition or circumstance) suggest or indicate that (a particular technique or drug) should not be used in the case in question.
- The vaccine is contraindicated in pregnant women, children under the age of six years, and immunocompromised patients.
- In these situations oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated.
- Immuno deficient people and those for whom vaccine is contraindicated can also be helped.
- Example sentences
- Preoperative haemorrhage and hypotension are contraindications to spinal anaesthesia, and ketamine is used in only severely ill women.
- Some patients choose not to take hormone replacement, or they may have medical contraindications or experience hormonal side effects.
- There are no medical contraindications to insulin therapy.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of contraindicate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.