Definition of contraindicate in English:
verb[with object] (usually be contraindicated) Medicine
(Of a condition or circumstance) suggest or indicate that (a particular technique or drug) should not be used in the case in question.
- The vaccine is contraindicated in pregnant women, children under the age of six years, and immunocompromised patients.
- In these situations oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated.
- Immuno deficient people and those for whom vaccine is contraindicated can also be helped.
- Example sentences
- Preoperative haemorrhage and hypotension are contraindications to spinal anaesthesia, and ketamine is used in only severely ill women.
- Some patients choose not to take hormone replacement, or they may have medical contraindications or experience hormonal side effects.
- There are no medical contraindications to insulin therapy.
Definition of contraindicate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan