noun (plural contrapposti /-trəˈpästē/)Sculpture
- An asymmetrical arrangement of the human figure in which the line of the arms and shoulders contrasts with while balancing those of the hips and legs.More example sentences
- The figure is artfully foreshortened, engaging in a sweeping contrapposto to provide a virtuoso ‘frame’ for the sudarium, the origin of all cult images, made without human hands from the face of Christ.
- Dosso stages Saint George in a poised contrapposto as he stands triumphant over the dragon, who exhales his final puffs of smoke.
- Mouths open, not yet inured to the sight, many adopt the famous sculpture's contrapposto.
Italian, past participle of contrapporre, from Latin contraponere 'place against'.
More definitions of contrappostoDefinition of contrapposto in:
- The British & World English dictionary