1Opposition or inconsistency between two or more things: questions that involved much contrariety of opinion
More example sentences
- If environmentalist opposition groups fail to understand that, and their misconceived contrariety prevails to the point where this town loses the chance for this university campus, their credibility will suffer a mortal blow.
- Examples such as this of contrariety within religion can be seen by the years of long debate and argument which have taken place and continue to take place between scholars and theologians alike.
- ‘Without contrariety there is no progression,’ William Blake wrote.
2 Logic Contrary opposition.
- Does the sentence express a sort of opposition, either contradiction or contrariety etc.?
- The four that can attain this mark, because they depend solely upon the intrinsic properties of ideas, are resemblance, contrariety, degrees in quality, and proportions in quantity or number.
- There is a choice of contraries without very well settled modes of appropriation: standing for different degrees of contrariety.
Words that rhyme with contrarietyanxiety, dubiety, impiety, impropriety, inebriety, notoriety, piety, satiety, sobriety, ubiety, variety
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of contrariety in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.