- An action that violates a law, treaty, or other ruling: young persons who commit offenses bear responsibility for their contraventionsMore example sentences
- At the time of the offence, or the contravention, you will never know whether there has been actual recoupment.
- I am trying to think of an example of a contravention of this restraining order that would not turn upon presence in the premises.
- But in both cases, your Honour, one is looking at the misconduct of the contravention.
in contravention of
- In a manner contrary and disobedient to (a law or other ruling).More example sentences
- Police chiefs believe such rulings would not be in contravention of human rights legislation although the club has yet to take such action.
- It appears to be in contravention of international law and the UN Charter.
- His eavesdropping was indisputably in contravention of the law of the land.
mid 16th century: via French from medieval Latin contraventio(n-), from late Latin contravenire (see contravene).