- Failure of an injured plaintiff to act prudently, considered to be a contributory factor in the injury suffered, and sometimes reducing the amount recovered from the defendant.More example sentences
- That, of course, does not mean that the appellant was guilty of contributory negligence.
- Whether a plaintiff is guilty of contributory negligence is a question of fact.
- Negligence, or contributory negligence, will suffice either to defeat the claim or to reduce the award of damages.
More definitions of contributory negligenceDefinition of contributory negligence in:
- The British & World English dictionary