Definition of contrived in English:
1Deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
- Here, however, several contrived situations are grafted into the plot to generate artificial tension.
- Is her vulnerability a natural or contrived circumstance?
- In the end, a few short minutes in such contrived circumstances did little to further the debate on the something already described as a ‘national disgrace’.
1.1Created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic: the ending of the novel is too pat and contrived
More example sentences
- The outside shots of the hospital during a thunderstorm look impressive, but the fire visuals are as artificial as the contrived resolution.
- Though supposedly posing a test of survival skills, the desert-island situation was rather contrived.
- A poor script with bad dialogue and a cheesy, contrived family crisis doesn't help her much.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan