Definition of convalescent in English:
1(Of a person) recovering from an illness or operation.
- The virus is present in the exhaled air, secretions and faeces of infected birds, both before they show signs of illness and while they are convalescent.
- In England, porter, originally the beer favoured by porters at the market, became the health drink of the Victorians, often prescribed by doctors for convalescent ladies.
- Undaunted Seacole funded her own trip to the Crimea where she established the British Hotel near Balaclava to provide ‘a mess-table and comfortable quarters for sick and convalescent officers’.
1.1Relating to convalescence: a convalescent home
More example sentences
- This raises issues of adequate pain control during the hospital and convalescent phase of illness.
- The table shows the results of blood tests performed during the acute and convalescent stages of the illness.
- Western Montana residents needed a hospital that could provide medical and convalescent care.
nounBack to top
A person who is recovering after an illness or operation.
- Recall the case of the convalescents in the hospital ward.
- Their white colour and delicate texture have conspired to give them a reputation as a food for invalids or convalescents.
- But each district of Rome had a hospital, and there were hospitals for pilgrims, lying-in hospitals, hospitals for convalescents.