- 1The informal exchange of ideas by spoken words: the two men were deep in conversationMore example sentences
- In conversation we discuss the power of music to get us through those dark nights of the soul.
- We tried to talk to him a few times, but he was not interested in conversation.
- Marriage came up in conversation as I asked him if he would consider getting married.
- 1.1An instance of this: she picked up the phone and held a conversation in FrenchMore example sentences
- I'd taken control of where this conversation was going and at the same time stopped it dead.
- This reminded me of a very different conversation overheard in our previous gym steam room.
- It's intriguing how quickly he will steer any given conversation back to politics.
- Talk for the sake of politeness without having anything to say.More example sentences
- Trying to create when you don't feel like it is like making conversation for the sake of making conversation.
- She politely started to make conversation and the trio were laughing within minutes.
- As I wait at the breakfast table, I attempt to make conversation with an elderly couple, but they don't speak English.
Middle English (in the sense 'living among, familiarity, intimacy'): via Old French from Latin conversatio(n-), from the verb conversari (see converse1).