Definition of convoy in English:
A group of ships or vehicles traveling together, typically accompanied by armed troops, warships, or other vehicles for protection.
- He had previous convictions after pretending to be a fleet manager sending aid convoys to Bosnia and twice posing as a police officer.
- Roosevelt had already pushed neutrality to the limit and had assigned warships to accompany convoys in the Atlantic.
- Too often, logistics convoys are thrown together at the last minute without even a combat order or a precombat inspection.
Pronunciation: /ˈkänˌvoi , kənˈvoi /[with object] Back to top
(Of a warship or armed troops) accompany (a group of ships or vehicles) for protection.
- These campaigns were narrowly defeated using a balanced force of Allied fleets, with opposing submarines, merchant ships convoyed by surface ships (primarily destroyers), and sea and land-based aviation.
- The harsh reality, again, is, as reported earlier by CNN, their vehicles are often convoyed further north.
- If their vehicles aren't armored, the policy is that they are convoyed on other vehicles.
escort, accompany, attend, flank;
protect, defend, guard
- (Of traveling vehicles) as a group; together: the army trucks had passed through in convoy the previous eveningMore example sentences
- More than 500 youngsters aged six to 12 from throughout the United Kingdom will arrive at Buckingham Palace, including 200 in 100 decorated London taxis driving in convoy down The Mall.
- The ‘curfew’ was generally welcomed by the committee, but some members were concerned it would encourage drivers to wait in lay-bys outside the town until the allotted time and then enter in convoy.
- From there they will make their way in convoy to Leopardstown and enjoy a fun day out with face-painting, music, dancing and a host of other activities especially lined up for their entertainment.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan