Definition of convulsant in English:
(Chiefly of drugs) producing sudden and involuntary muscle contractions.
- Some users, however, report that they become more sensitive to cocaine's anesthetic and convulsant effects even without increasing the amount.
- This is done by the psychiatric profession under the medical term ‘ECT’ (electro convulsant therapy).
- Experimental studies have confirmed that folates are highly convulsant if the blood-brain barrier is circumvented.
nounBack to top
A convulsant drug.
- Seizures could be nonepileptic if evoked in the normal brain by treatments, such as electric shock or chemical convulsants, or epileptic when occurring without evident provocation.
- The toxic ingredients are of various types, ranging from local irritants to convulsants, hallucinogens, and neurotoxins (nerve poisons).
- Other herbal extracts, essence of sage which contains camphor, a well-known convulsant, and essence of hysop which contains pinocamphone, a neurotoxin, are commonly encountered ‘natural remedies.’
Definition of convulsant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan