- Resin from any of a number of tropical trees, used to make varnish.
More example sentences
- The resin is obtained from trees in the families Leguminosae (genera Guibourtia, Copaifera, and Trachylobium) and Araucariaceae (genus Agathis)
- In one culture a shaman uses tobacco, sage or cannabis, in others copal, frankincense, sandalwood, cedar, juniper or pine.
- Her breath reeked of scalded sugar, copal, and agave.
- The book begins by defining amber and differentiating it from copal or more recent and, as yet, undistilled resin.
late 16th century: via Spanish from Nahuatl copalli 'incense'.
More definitions of copalDefinition of copal in:
- The British & World English dictionary