Definition of copestone in English:
1A flat stone forming part of the coping of a wall.
- In the cathedral of Vienna, the architect of the fifteenth-century Chapel of St. Barbara doubled the effect by fashioning two instances of the hanging copestones supported by flying ribs - one in each of its two bays.
- For small erections may be finished by their first architect; grand ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity.
1.1The highest stone in a building, wall, or structure.
- In 1870 (or 1871 depending on the source material), lightning struck the spire, dislodging a coping stone.
- Inspection covers for the arches have been removed on occasions and coping stones weighing half a ton or more have been pushed off.
- But in the absence of a CDS, this structure is like an arch without a coping stone.
Definition of copestone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan