Definition of copestone in English:
1A flat stone forming part of the coping of a wall.
- In the cathedral of Vienna, the architect of the fifteenth-century Chapel of St. Barbara doubled the effect by fashioning two instances of the hanging copestones supported by flying ribs - one in each of its two bays.
- For small erections may be finished by their first architect; grand ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity.
1.1The highest stone in a building, wall, or structure.
- In 1870 (or 1871 depending on the source material), lightning struck the spire, dislodging a coping stone.
- Inspection covers for the arches have been removed on occasions and coping stones weighing half a ton or more have been pushed off.
- But in the absence of a CDS, this structure is like an arch without a coping stone.
Definition of copestone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.