Definition of copperplate in English:
1A polished copper plate with a design engraved or etched into it.
- Much controversy still remains regarding the techniques used, but all processes began with etching and/or engraving the desired design on a copperplate.
- Then the copperplate is etched, and the image transferred onto fine Japanese paper.
- By the age of eleven, Maria could engrave a copperplate.
1.1A print made from a copperplate.
- The atlas's hundreds of thousands of copperplate pages rolled off his nine Amsterdam printing presses (then the largest in the world) at a time when the Dutch East India Company was dominating Asian trade and mapping its territories.
2A style of neat, round handwriting, usually slanted and looped, the thick and thin strokes being made by pressure with a flexible metal nib.
[the copybooks for this round hand were originally printed from copperplates]
- Even then I regretted not being allowed to learn and to use copperplate but the days of the flexible steel pen nib were already ending.
- Please note that he only wants entries via email, so if your manuscript is written in copperplate across twenty-seven violet-scented onionskin pages, start typing.
- The hand with which she wrote her reply still showed the strong traces of a schoolgirl's copperplate, but her careless haste removed from it the appearance of any formality.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or in copperplate writing.
- A painting of the sun setting over the sea in his book in 1921 was accompanied by the following message in very small copperplate writing.
- Visitors can take their place at desks in three period classrooms and write on slates with chalk before progressing to dip pens and exercise books to practise ornate copperplate writing.
- Not since Arthur Stace's copperplate eternity signature graced Sydney's streets in the '50s has street art attracted such attention.
Definition of copperplate in:
- British & World English dictionary