(also coprophagia /ˌkäprəˈfāj(ē)ə/)
The eating of feces or dung.
- Some animals have overcome this deficiency by consuming the faeces or cecal content containing the microbes using a strategy termed coprophagy or cecotrophy respectively.
- It is interesting to note that non-human animals do just this, by indulging in coprophagy when their internal ecology has been disturbed.
- Yes, they indulge in coprophagy or, more bluntly, poo-eating.
- Example sentences
- While not exactly treatment, it is possible that the dog will stop being coprophagic as it ages.
- Punishing or scolding a dog for being dirty, by the owner or breeder, may lead to a coprophagic behaviour.
- Health risks to humans from being licked in the face by a coprophagic animal are minimal.
- (chiefly Zoology )Example sentences
- Larvae of this species are coprophagous, meaning they feed on the dung of large mammals, which they thereby decompose, together with many other species of primarily earthworms, beetles and flies.
- At least some species are known to be coprophagous, reingesting special feces voided from the cecum
- If people were coprophagous in pre-history, what archeological evidence would there be, if any?
Definition of coprophagy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.