(also coprophagia /ˌkäprəˈfāj(ē)ə/)
Definition of coprophagy in English:
The eating of feces or dung.
- Some animals have overcome this deficiency by consuming the faeces or cecal content containing the microbes using a strategy termed coprophagy or cecotrophy respectively.
- It is interesting to note that non-human animals do just this, by indulging in coprophagy when their internal ecology has been disturbed.
- Yes, they indulge in coprophagy or, more bluntly, poo-eating.
- Example sentences
- While not exactly treatment, it is possible that the dog will stop being coprophagic as it ages.
- Punishing or scolding a dog for being dirty, by the owner or breeder, may lead to a coprophagic behaviour.
- Health risks to humans from being licked in the face by a coprophagic animal are minimal.
- (chiefly Zoology )Example sentences
- Larvae of this species are coprophagous, meaning they feed on the dung of large mammals, which they thereby decompose, together with many other species of primarily earthworms, beetles and flies.
- At least some species are known to be coprophagous, reingesting special feces voided from the cecum
- If people were coprophagous in pre-history, what archeological evidence would there be, if any?
Definition of coprophagy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan