Definition of copyholder in English:
1 (also copy holder) A clasp or stand for holding sheets of text while it is keyed or typed.
- Also features an in-line copyholder so you can position documents for easy, comfortable viewing.
- Save space on your desk by securely suspending this copyholder from your partition or the edge of your desk.
- The new sturdy plastic, multi-use computer copyholder is also a portable clipboard.
2British historical A person who holds land in copyhold.
- Tenants of farms and copyholders were evicted by business-minded landlords.
- By the later 19th century historians writing of England from a European perspective often saw peasants as small freeholders, copyholders, and even farmers.
- By the 13th century the pattern was beginning to unravel as more and more villeins obtained their freedom and became copyholders.
Words that rhyme with copyholderleaseholder
Definition of copyholder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan