- 1A person who makes copies, especially of handwritten documents or music.More example sentences
- Cantillon employed clerks in his bank - professional copyists and document preparers - who could have made copies in their spare time.
- It of course took quite some months to copy a book, but a skilled copyist could manage a document much more quickly.
- He was much favoured by the king, who directed that all his grand motets should be copied by the court copyists.
- 1.1A person who imitates the styles of others, especially in art.More example sentences
- When Chris Evans and Oasis hit their peaks in the summer of Britpop, 1996, they spawned a wealth of imitators and copyists.
- A copyist relies on imitation to ply his craft, but a great designer can evoke a much more powerful response through invention.
- They were note perfect but not mere copyists, they were re-creating the feeling of the music as well as the sound.
More definitions of copyistDefinition of copyist in:
- The British & World English dictionary