Definition of copyist in English:
1A person who makes copies, especially of handwritten documents or music.
- Cantillon employed clerks in his bank - professional copyists and document preparers - who could have made copies in their spare time.
- It of course took quite some months to copy a book, but a skilled copyist could manage a document much more quickly.
- He was much favoured by the king, who directed that all his grand motets should be copied by the court copyists.
1.1A person who imitates the styles of others, especially in art.
- When Chris Evans and Oasis hit their peaks in the summer of Britpop, 1996, they spawned a wealth of imitators and copyists.
- A copyist relies on imitation to ply his craft, but a great designer can evoke a much more powerful response through invention.
- They were note perfect but not mere copyists, they were re-creating the feeling of the music as well as the sound.
Definition of copyist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.