Definition of coquette in English:
1A woman who flirts.
- Hell, if that was being nice then I'd like to see you when you're really flirting, my little coquette!
- Adele took Lin up on that dinner offer, and Lydie had to sit through the whole night watching Adele act like the little coquette she was and flirt madly with Lin.
- Bette (rhymes with pet, sweat, coquette and martinet but never regret) is a full-service entertainer.
2A crested Central and South American hummingbird, typically with green plumage, a reddish crest, and elongated cheek feathers.
- Lophornis and two other genera, family Trochilidae: several species
- Possible candidates for most beautiful bird of the morning were a group of Bay-headed Tanagers. But my favorite came just after lunch - my target bird for the trip: A Rufous-crested Coquette.
- Southeast Brazil has a wealth of special birds, few more impressive than the tiny Festive Coquette.
mid 17th century: French, feminine of coquet 'wanton', diminutive of coq 'cock'.
Definition of coquette in:
- British & World English dictionary