adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- Heart-shaped.More example sentences
- A typical, mature Osmunda cinnamomea gametophyte was cordate and without trichomes.
- Ventral muscle field strongly impressed, elevated, cordate, with high ridges laterally and anteriorly.
- The fruits were cordate at the base instead of truncated as is typical of H. verticillata.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'wise, prudent'): from Latin cordatus 'wise' (in modern Latin 'heart-shaped'), from cor, cord- 'heart'.
More definitions of cordateDefinition of cordate in:
- The British & World English dictionary