Definition of corded in English:
1(Of cloth) ribbed.
- My first purchase, by mail order, was a black corded velvet dress with white lace collar and cuffs for my young daughter.
- Fabric or trim with a raised texture, such as re-embroidered and corded laces, wide-wale corduroy and heavy mesh.
- Silk, linen, cotton, and occasionally fine wools were quilted and corded and sometimes even further embellished with embroidery.
1.1(Of a tensed muscle) standing out so as to resemble a piece of cord.
- Blair pressed herself closer to him, while her hands glided across the corded muscles between his shoulder blades before lifting his shirt over his head.
- Suddenly his corded muscles bunched under his loose hide and he shot forward, down the slope seemingly following the encroaching aircrafts.
- She wondered absently how a man who was not very tall in stature could carry something so heavy, then remembered his corded muscles and wiry strength.
2Equipped with a cord: a corded waistband corded and cordless phones
More example sentences
- There are about as many options as a Lego set for hooking it up, but the basic idea is that it links a regular corded or cordless phone with your cell phone to provide the best features of each.
- The controllers come in both corded and cordless versions, the latter having a USB dongle to connect to, and featuring switches for vibration control and power on the back of the unit (both to save power).
- If you have a lot of sheet metal to cut there are electric shears available to buy or rent in both corded and cordless models, which cut quickly and cleanly with much less strain on your hands.
Definition of corded in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia