- A system or group of parallel mountain ranges together with the intervening plateaus and other features, especially in the Andes or the Rockies.More example sentences
- In the western part, the Andean cordillera (system of mountain ranges) extends from north to south.
- Great mountain ranges known as cordilleras divide Spain into distinct natural regions.
- The mighty Andes Mountains divide into three long ranges - called cordilleras - that run the length of the country.
early 18th century: from Spanish, from cordilla, diminutive of cuerda 'cord', from Latin chorda (see cord).
More definitions of cordilleraDefinition of cordillera in:
- The British & World English dictionary