Definition of corn dodger in English:
1A small, hard fried or baked cornmeal cake.
- Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses, and you have a real southern treat
- Also called johnny cake or journey cake, hoe cake, ash cake, bannock, griddle cake and corn dodger, these were the common breads.
- In some parts of the South, these corn sticks are known as corn pone; in other parts, corn dodgers.
1.1A boiled cornmeal dumpling.
- Corn pone was made in a covered pan or oven, Johnny cake was baked on a board in front of the fire, and corn dodgers made into balls and cooked.
- It would be better, methinks, to have real deep-fried cornydogs to go with the corn dodgers.
- Variations include corn dodgers, dropped into the hot ‘pot liquor’ left over from cooking turnip greens, and hushpuppies, mixed with onion and deep fried.
Definition of corn dodger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia