Definition of corn dodger in English:
1A small, hard fried or baked cornmeal cake.
- Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses, and you have a real southern treat
- Also called johnny cake or journey cake, hoe cake, ash cake, bannock, griddle cake and corn dodger, these were the common breads.
- In some parts of the South, these corn sticks are known as corn pone; in other parts, corn dodgers.
1.1A boiled cornmeal dumpling.
- Corn pone was made in a covered pan or oven, Johnny cake was baked on a board in front of the fire, and corn dodgers made into balls and cooked.
- It would be better, methinks, to have real deep-fried cornydogs to go with the corn dodgers.
- Variations include corn dodgers, dropped into the hot ‘pot liquor’ left over from cooking turnip greens, and hushpuppies, mixed with onion and deep fried.
Definition of corn dodger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.