Definition of corn snake in English:
A long North American rat snake with a spear-shaped mark between the eyes.
- Elaphe guttata, family Colubridae
- On the way to the second level the stairs are lined with some excellent live displays; a huge green iguana, some very curious and playful red-cheeked turtles and, for snake lovers, an American corn snake and a reticulated python.
- At the San Diego Zoo a two-headed corn snake named Thelma and Louise produced 15 normal offspring before it died.
- The couple rang the RSPCA and one of its officers identified the reptile as a corn snake which, although not poisonous, could have inflicted a nasty bite. She then took it away to be rehomed.
Late 17th century: so named because often found in cornfields.
Definition of corn snake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.