Definition of cornerstone in English:
1A stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls.
- These are cornerstones, flint stones, millstones, limestone, and milestones.
- A stone is also symbolic of eternity, like the cornerstone of a building, placed to last for all time.
- Usually, I touch the cornerstones on the buildings, but Aunt Issa had said men would know I am a child from my hands and such a childish move.
1.1An important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based: a national minimum wage remained the cornerstone of policy
More example sentences
- Yoga will continue to remain an important cornerstone, but I really need to make more time for weight training.
- Despite their adolescence, it is on these countries that the United States depends as a cornerstone of its energy policy.
- Wong's structure will not provide shade but a vision that represents three important cornerstones of our university community: students, businesses and faculty.
Words that rhyme with cornerstonemonotone
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.