Definition of cornhusking in English:
1The removal of husks from ears of corn.
- He had his cornhusking to do, and he wanted to get all the fall jobs finished before cold weather.
- The conception of cornhusking as a sport rather than a chore sprang from the fertile brain of Henry Agard Wallace.
- Winter is coming, and Charlotte's days are filled with cornhusking and candle dipping and helping Mama mind baby Mary.
1.1The husking of corn by several people as a social event. Also called husking bee.
- Its large rooms were fashioned not just to accommodate weddings, funerals, prayer meetings, cornhuskings, and the like, but to provide shelter during storms and Indian attacks.
- During the 1780s, community cornhuskings, barn raisings, logrollings, and quilting bees symbolized the overall cooperation among rural New Englanders.
- They must hurry to complete their chores early, as by late afternoon they will journey three miles by foot to attend a cornhusking and dance in their neighbors’ new barn.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan