Definition of corollary in English:
noun (plural corollaries)
1A proposition that follows from (and is often appended to) one already proved.
- For these angles, the contradiction used to prove the corollary does not arise.
- The fan theorem is, in fact, a corollary of the bar theorem; combined with the continuity principle, which is not classically valid, it yields the continuity theorem.
- As a corollary to this theorem Higman proved the existence of a universal finitely presented group containing every finitely presented group as a subgroup.
1.1A direct or natural consequence or result: the huge increases in unemployment were the corollary of expenditure cuts
More example sentences
- One can say, there cannot be any second thought about the genuineness of their intention, which they consider a corollary to the remarkable quality and range of products showcased in the auditorium.
- The corollary to these figures is that many businesses have trouble recruiting staff with the right level of skills.
- This means that we, pedestrians, have as much of a right to the streets as the cars do (the corollary to this is that the cars occasionally come onto the sidewalks).
adjectiveBack to top
1Forming a proposition that follows from one already proved.
- The British journal New Theatre Quarterly has even run a series of articles discussing the theatricality of the uncertainty principle and corollary axioms.
- In support of this proposition, three corollary arguments are presented.
- A corollary question discussed by the committee was whether leadership development initiatives should be curricular or extracurricular in nature.
- In addition, there are several more specific corollary conclusions to the main finding.
- Her goal is to help women achieve healthy and long-lasting marriages, although the corollary implication is that women are responsible for failed relationships.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan