noun (plural corpora lutea /ˈlo͞otēə/)Anatomy
- A hormone-secreting structure that develops in an ovary after an ovum has been discharged but degenerates after a few days unless pregnancy has begun.More example sentences
- It is generally believed that symptoms result from the waning hormone secretions from the ovaries as the corpus luteum begins to degenerate towards the end of the menstrual cycle.
- It is secreted by the corpus luteum during pregnancy and by the ovaries during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle.
- In the corpora lutea of the ovary, whirls of long needles are most distinct.
late 18th century: from corpus and Latin luteum, neuter of luteus 'yellow'.
More definitions of corpus luteumDefinition of corpus luteum in:
- The British & World English dictionary