noun (plural corpora spongiosa /ˌspənjēˈōsə/)Anatomy
- A mass of erectile tissue alongside the corpora cavernosa of the penis and terminating in the glans.More example sentences
- These include the corpus spongiosum, which enlarges distally into the glans penis; parallel with, and dorsal to, the corpus spongiosum are the paired corpora cavernosa, which extend distally to the glans.
- The penis consists of two parallel cylinders of erectile tissue, the corpora cavernosa, and a smaller, single ventrally placed cylinder, the corpus spongiosum, which surrounds the urethra and distally forms the glans penis.
- The corpus spongiosum is a chamber that surrounds the urethra and becomes engorged with blood during an erection.
from corpus and Latin spongiosum, neuter of spongiosus 'porous'.
More definitions of corpus spongiosumDefinition of corpus spongiosum in:
- The British & World English dictionary