Definition of cosmetic in English:
- Reconstructive surgery corrects defects or restores function, while cosmetic surgery enhances or improves a person's normal appearance.
- You've thought about having cosmetic nose surgery, but you're unsure if this procedure is for you.
- Most cosmetic plastic surgeries are paid upfront by the patient.
- Confidence in one's own body, going beyond cosmetic appearance, is necessary for this.
- Their offerings run the whole spectrum, edibles, medicinals, but most important from a cottage industry perspective, the body care and cosmetic market.
- However, body kits are merely cosmetic alterations.
- We are concerned that this might be a cosmetic exercise rather than dealing with the real issues.
- Most of the damage is cosmetic rather than structural, but many hotels may not reopen until the end of the year when the busy Christmas season starts.
- The agenda set by those who participated struck me as a desire for a more cosmetic makeover rather than a radical change for newspapers to make them more relevant to all ages.
noun(usually cosmetics) Back to top
- Castor oil is also used in the preparation of cosmetics, especially kajal and lipsticks.
- A valuable medicinal tree, it is also used in the preparation of most herbal cosmetics.
- Recycled liquid fuel is made from liquids created in the manufacture of everyday products like paint and cosmetics.
cosmos from Middle English:
The fact that both cosmos and cosmetic (early 17th century) go back to the same word, Greek kosmos gives an interesting insight into the way the ancient Greeks thought. Kosmos had a central meaning ‘order’, but was also used to mean ‘world’ and the putting of oneself in order that involved ‘adornment’.
- Example sentences
- Essential oils will penetrate to the epidermis (bottom layer of skin) to exert their beneficial effects, and work cosmetically to help slow the aging process.
- During its operation as a function centre, night spot and disco, it has been looked after cosmetically, but beneath the surface expensive restoration work is necessary.
- As always, extreme makeover or not, if you're not happy with who you are on the inside, cosmetically changing the outside will never make up for it.
Words that rhyme with cosmeticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, arithmetic, ascetic, athletic, balletic, bathetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, kinetic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, peripatetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, splenetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.