noun (plural costae /-tē, -tī/)Botany & Zoology
- 1A rib, midrib, or riblike structure.More example sentences
- It has strong divaricate ornamentation of coarse costae and/or small plicae, which bear low, close nodes, but which cover both the anterior and posterior faces of the shell.
- The main part of the shell is coarsely commarginally lamellose and lacks radial costae.
- The internal molds are smooth with exception of traces of the concentric costae on the rostral face.
- 1.1 Entomology The main vein running along the leading edge of an insect’s wing.More example sentences
- The forewings generally are reduced to the region immediately adjacent to the costa, having separated along the radius and cubitus veins.
- It resulted in outgrowths and duplications of the costa region of the wing.
mid 19th century: from Latin.
More definitions of costaDefinition of costa in:
- The British & World English dictionary