Definition of costmary in English:
noun (plural costmaries)
An aromatic plant of the daisy family, formerly used in medicine and for flavoring ale prior to the use of hops.
- Balsamita major, family Compositae
- The costmary plant is a tall and erect perennial chrysanthemum, of minor importance as a condiment.
- Perfumed toilet water was once made from costmary leaves and they added a spicy flavor to ale.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the spikenard, peppercorns, costmary and cloves together.
Definition of costmary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia