Definition of costmary in English:
noun (plural costmaries)
An aromatic plant of the daisy family, formerly used in medicine and for flavoring ale prior to the use of hops.
- Balsamita major, family Compositae
- The costmary plant is a tall and erect perennial chrysanthemum, of minor importance as a condiment.
- Perfumed toilet water was once made from costmary leaves and they added a spicy flavor to ale.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the spikenard, peppercorns, costmary and cloves together.
Definition of costmary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.