Definition of cotillion in English:
1An 18th-century French dance based on the contredanse.
- She brushed off his request to dance the second cotillion with him, using the graceful, courteous snubbery he had spent so long teaching her.
- They danced the first cotillion mechanically.
- The group continued to talk until Tony led Christina out onto the floor to dance a cotillion.
2US A formal ball, especially one at which debutantes are presented.
- The Knights' social functions - formal dinners, balls, and cotillions - also reflected members' aspirations toward middle-class refinement.
- The old Society page, with its news of old-family weddings, cotillions, and charity balls, began everywhere to be replaced in newspapers by the Style page, a very different thing.
- I've never been much for balls and cotillions though I have to attend them endlessly.
Definition of cotillion in:
- British & World English dictionary