A perching bird found in the forests of Central and South America, the male of which is frequently brilliantly colored.
- Family Cotingidae (the cotinga family): several genera, especially Cotinga, and numerous species. The cotinga family also includes the bellbirds, umbrellabirds, and cocks-of-the-rock, and is sometimes placed within the family Tyrannidae
More example sentences
- They say the gray-winged cotinga occupies forest at a higher elevation than the black-and-gold cotinga.
- Using remote sensing predictions, the researchers calculate the likely range of a rare and range-restricted endemic bird of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the grey-winged cotinga.
- Actually finding the cotinga would be a huge step toward establishing the use of computer models as viable tools for determining what areas should be protected.
via French from Tupi cutinga.
Definition of cotinga in:
- The British & World English dictionary