Definition of couchette in English:
1A European railroad car with seats convertible into sleeping berths.
- At Belgrade I was left looking after the luggage while my husband went off to organize a couchette or wagon-lit for the rest of the journey.
- We had couchettes (lie down chairs) on this train, but I slept poorly because of all the stops we were making.
- To avoid hotel bills, we took overnight trains and booked couchettes.
1.1A berth in a couchette.
- The company takes off on the sleeper - cue for much squabbling among the bunk-hopping young lovers as to who sleeps with whom in which couchette - which makes a timely departure in a convincing billow of smoke.
- Sleeping on overnight trains is common (though couchettes cost extra).
- The fully loaded walk through five cars to the couchettes was amazing.
1920s: French, literally 'little bed', diminutive of couche 'a couch'.
Definition of couchette in:
- British & World English dictionary