Definition of countercheck in English:
1A second check for security or accuracy.
- They're very interested in maintaining the appropriate levels of checks and counterchecks in the business because a good deal of their money is on the line.
- The Chaldaean and Babylonian empires were the first to build an elaborate system of checks and counterchecks, primarily to minimize errors and to safeguard state property from dishonest tax collectors.
verb[with object] archaic Back to top
Stop (something) by acting to cancel or counteract it: the king with his own hand wrote to countercheck his former decree
More example sentences
- To countercheck the view that pluralism is tolerable or inevitable, the CDF published a declaration, Dominus Iesus.
- When two time travelers fight over something, they employ multitudes of selves to check and countercheck each other until there are swarms of you around.
Definition of countercheck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.