Definition of counterirritant in English:
Something such as heat or an ointment that is used to produce surface irritation of the skin, thereby counteracting underlying pain or discomfort.
- Distraction could be provided by rubbing the patient with counterirritants such as stinging nettles.
- It is one of the most commonly used counterirritants for temporary relief of pain.
- Most other pain creams contain counterirritants which bring about a mild to extreme burning sensation which distracts the mind from the pain temporarily.
- Example sentences
- Sterile-water injection causes a burning sensation that is much more painful than saline injection and is thought to relieve labor pain by counterirritation.
- This principle of counterirritation has been recognized for hundreds of years, and it still works.
- Studies done in the 1940s showed that the use of noxious stimuli or counterirritation could produce significant analgesic effects.
Definition of counterirritant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan