1An additional mark placed on something already marked, typically for increased security.
- Any earlier coins that show a countermark do not indicate a date when later coins were countermarked.
- On the other hand, the obverse countermarks show a rather careless placement on the imperial portrait.
- At our last meeting Richard Baker gave another in his series of talks on countermarks or stamps.
1.1A second watermark.
- Such watermarks are common in papers of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, and they often have a countermark giving the manufacturer's name and/or date.
- The countermark in the paper of the drypoint The Forge 1871 belongs to the firm De Erven de Blauw c.1822.
Definition of countermark in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.