Definition of county in English:
noun (plural counties)
1US (In the US) a political and administrative division of a state, providing certain local governmental services.
- His spending blazed a new path through the county's usual political circuit.
- Meanwhile, the man and his family have retaliated against the county and its political system.
- The county has a political structure that has pushed for integrated housing and public facilities.
1.1A territorial division of some countries, forming the chief unit of local administration.
- England is also a culture of many smaller regionalisms, still centered on the old governmental unit of the county and the local villages and towns.
- But he claimed highways chiefs from the county's local councils had been insistent that the 11 additional sites were needed now.
- Residents will have the chance to express their views and concerns about local policing to the county's chief constable in a live webchat next week.
countywide adjective& adverb
- Example sentences
- Sales countywide declined 24 percent, compared to the first quarter of last year, and the median price declined 2 percent.
- There are 40 to 50 children on the waiting list countywide, she said.
- By comparison, homes countywide have appreciated just 31 percent in the past four years.
Words that rhyme with countybounty, Mountie
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.