1A small sheltered bay.
- Be bold and take some time to explore some of the sheltered coves and quiet bays that can be found at a spot near you.
- The best way to get around the sheltered coves and hidden bays is either on a moped or by boat.
- They can be found in the more sheltered coves along the west coast, including those on Achill.
1.1 dialect A sheltered recess, especially in the side of a mountain.
- All they found was a small knapsack of books that he had been going to give out when he arrived at the mountain cove.
- Biologists exploring one sheltered cove collected about 268 plant species.
- The trees are rarely as majestic as some of those found in the coves of the Appalachian Mountains.
2 Architecture A concave arched molding, especially one formed at the junction of a wall with a ceiling.
- Accessories such as moldings, cornices, coves and miters are also available.
- Ceiling coves were added to help capture and soften the area's reverberation.
- She walked over to the large wardrobe that lined the wall between the cove and the windows.
verb[with object] (usually as adjective coved) Architecture
Provide (a room, ceiling, etc.) with a cove.
- To the left, off the hall, is a large open plan drawing/dining room with a coved ceiling and fitted wall lights.
- Double doors separate two rooms, both with antique-style fireplaces, high coved ceilings and timber floors.
- The room is furnished with a cast-iron fireplace with tiled inset and mahogany surround and has both a dado rail and coved ceiling.
Words that rhyme with covebehove, clove, dove, drove, fauve, grove, interwove, Jove, mauve, rove, shrove, stove, strove, trove, wove
nounBritish informal, dated
Mid 16th century: perhaps from Romany kova 'thing or person'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.