1A small sheltered bay.
- Be bold and take some time to explore some of the sheltered coves and quiet bays that can be found at a spot near you.
- The best way to get around the sheltered coves and hidden bays is either on a moped or by boat.
- They can be found in the more sheltered coves along the west coast, including those on Achill.
1.1 dialect A sheltered recess, especially in the side of a mountain.
- All they found was a small knapsack of books that he had been going to give out when he arrived at the mountain cove.
- Biologists exploring one sheltered cove collected about 268 plant species.
- The trees are rarely as majestic as some of those found in the coves of the Appalachian Mountains.
2 Architecture A concave arched molding, especially one formed at the junction of a wall with a ceiling.
- Accessories such as moldings, cornices, coves and miters are also available.
- Ceiling coves were added to help capture and soften the area's reverberation.
- She walked over to the large wardrobe that lined the wall between the cove and the windows.
verb[with object] (usually as adjective coved) Architecture Back to top
Provide (a room, ceiling, etc.) with a cove.
- To the left, off the hall, is a large open plan drawing/dining room with a coved ceiling and fitted wall lights.
- Double doors separate two rooms, both with antique-style fireplaces, high coved ceilings and timber floors.
- The room is furnished with a cast-iron fireplace with tiled inset and mahogany surround and has both a dado rail and coved ceiling.
Words that rhyme with covebehove, clove, dove, drove, fauve, grove, interwove, Jove, mauve, rove, shrove, stove, strove, trove, wove
nounBritish informal dated
Mid 16th century: perhaps from Romany kova 'thing or person'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan