Definition of coven in English:
1A group or gathering of witches who meet regularly.
- On the first day of spring in 1996, our local newspaper ran an article about a local coven of witches.
- They are a diverse group - ranging from gaming clans to virtual covens of the magickal sort.
- Witches have been coming together as covens for centuries because groups have stronger magick than individuals.
1.1often derogatory A secret or close-knit group of associates: covens of militants within the party
More example sentences
- As a liberal, I had long suspected that we might have a secret coven over at CBS News.
- They have brought with them from the trade union covens the unreconstructed prejudices of an underclass.
- Sometimes a great mystery writer is forgotten way too soon - and needs to be brought back to public attention by a coven of loyal fans.
mid 17th century: variant of covin.
Definition of coven in:
- British & World English dictionary