Definition of cover something up in English:
1Put something on, over, or around something, especially in order to conceal or disguise it.
- I cover it up with concealer amateurishly, hoping no one will look there long enough to notice the messy make-up.
- People do not cover things up, unless there is something to conceal.
- And the petals unfurl, one by one, covering it up, hiding it, shielding it, until it is invisible.
1.1Try to hide or deny the fact of an illegal or illicit action or activity.
- But I didn't mean it, and you should believe me despite the fact that I lied earlier to cover it up.
- After all, no one is better than the tobacco industry at covering things up and hiding financial dealings.
- For centuries a conspiracy of silence and shame has covered it up, but now we know the facts.
Definition of cover something up in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan