Definition of cover-up in English:
1An attempt to prevent people’s discovering the truth about a serious mistake or crime.
- For them, the cover-up of serious crimes is a way of life, a feature of their everyday business.
- Her crime was to attempt a cover-up of something that wasn't a crime.
- She refused to apologise on behalf of her Department and denied any attempt at a cover-up or bid to suppress the news.
2A loose outer garment, as worn over a swimsuit or exercise outfit.
- She ended up wearing swimsuit cover-ups instead.
- The beloved long pareo, the swimsuit cover-up of choice for so many years, has shrunk to next to nothing.
- I can't believe it's a coincidence that women designers have led us towards this long-overdue cover-up.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan