- 1An attempt to prevent people’s discovering the truth about a serious mistake or crime.More example sentences
- For them, the cover-up of serious crimes is a way of life, a feature of their everyday business.
- Her crime was to attempt a cover-up of something that wasn't a crime.
- She refused to apologise on behalf of her Department and denied any attempt at a cover-up or bid to suppress the news.
- 2A loose outer garment, as worn over a swimsuit or exercise outfit.More example sentences
- She ended up wearing swimsuit cover-ups instead.
- The beloved long pareo, the swimsuit cover-up of choice for so many years, has shrunk to next to nothing.
- I can't believe it's a coincidence that women designers have led us towards this long-overdue cover-up.