Definition of cowslip in English:
1A European primula with clusters of drooping fragrant yellow flowers in spring, growing on dry grassy banks and in pasture.
- Primula veris, family Primulaceae
- Banks of primroses, drifts of bluebells and clusters of cowslips are now found only in secret, out-of-the-way places.
- I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows, where oxlips and the nodding cowslip grow.
- The P. veris of Linnaeus's time is still to this day known as the cowslip.
2Any of a number of herbaceous plants, in particular.
- ● another term for marsh marigold ● (also Virginia bluebell) A North American plant with blue flowers (Mertensia virginica, family Boraginaceae).
- A dewdrop fell from the petal of a lone cowslip growing by the garden wall.
- Other partners for pink daffodils include lavender cowslips.
Old English cūslyppe, from cū 'cow' + slipa, slyppe 'slime', i.e., cow slobber or dung.
Words that rhyme with cowslippillowslip
Definition of cowslip in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.