Definition of coxa in English:
noun (plural coxaeˈkäksē-sī)Anatomy
1The hipbone or hip joint.
- The hip bone or os coxae is not subject to great variation.
- The acetabulum is a hemispherical socket formed in the os coxae of a newborn.
- These are the trochanter, which acts as a swivel joint for the leg, and the coxa, which anchors the leg to the body.
1.1 Entomology The first or basal segment of the leg of an insect.
- The leg of the latter has few segments: coxa, basis, and perhaps four endopod segments.
- Burke interpreted the ventral sclerite as being solely comprised of the sternite fused with the coxae.
- I assume that in lichids the coxae were spinose, and that their movements carried food particles forward along the midline.
Late 17th century: from Latin, 'hip'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.