Definition of coxa in English:
noun (plural coxae /ˈkäksē, -sī/)Anatomy
1.1 Entomology The first or basal segment of the leg of an insect.
- The leg of the latter has few segments: coxa, basis, and perhaps four endopod segments.
- Burke interpreted the ventral sclerite as being solely comprised of the sternite fused with the coxae.
- I assume that in lichids the coxae were spinose, and that their movements carried food particles forward along the midline.
late 17th century: from Latin, 'hip'.
- Example sentences
- Such particles were further comminuted between the coxal spines and ridges.
- Each coxal bone forms with the fusion of three bones.
- The sacrum, coccyx, and the two coxal bones form the pelvis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan