Definition of coyote in English:
1 (plural same or coyotes) A wolflike wild dog native to North America. Also called brush wolf or prairie wolf.
- Canis latrans, family Canidae
- There are 36 species of Canidae, including dogs, wolves, coyotes, jackals and foxes.
- Other predators are red foxes, coyotes, wolves, bear, mountain lions, lynx, bobcats, eagles, and great horned owls.
- Eagles, rattlesnakes, deer, pronghorn antelope, foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions roam the area.
2North American informal A person who smuggles Latin Americans across the US border, typically for a high fee: at the bus station, there were coyotes offering to drive us to Los Angeles
More example sentences
- Over time I was also able to use non-American friends as coyotes to smuggle refills.
- To get past the border guards, immigrants from Mexico hire smugglers - called coyotes - to guide them through crossing points.
- His only choice was to travel to Tijuana and hire a coyote (immigrant smuggler) to take him across the border.
Mid 18th century: from Mexican Spanish, from Nahuatl coyotl.
Words that rhyme with coyoteCapote, coatee, dhoti, floaty, goaty, oaty, peyote, roti, throaty
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan