1A painful, involuntary contraction of a muscle or muscles, typically caused by fatigue or strain: he suffered severe cramps in his foot
More example sentences
- The runner suffers severe muscle pain and cramp as well as crippling abdominal discomfort.
- The etiology of nocturnal leg muscle cramps is not clear.
- For a number of years, quinine sulfate has been widely used for the treatment of nocturnal leg muscle cramps.
muscle/muscular spasm, pain, shooting pain, pang, stitch;
1.1 (cramps) North American Abdominal pain caused by menstruation.
- The last normal menstrual period, 7 years earlier, had lasted 6 days and was associated with abdominal cramps and pain.
- Ibuprofen is helpful for menstrual cramps and pain from inflammation (such as muscle sprains).
- The same remedies that work for menstrual cramps also lessen the pain of endometriosis.
2.1 (also cramp-iron) A metal bar with bent ends for holding masonry together.
1 [with object] Restrict or inhibit the development of: tighter rules will cramp economic growth
More example sentences
- The racial prejudice against non-Fijians inhibited and cramped the growth and practice of Sikhism.
- If you get up early enough, you can probably travel at least 300 miles per day but don't cramp yourself with time limits.
- The problems with the current law have cramped the growth of aquaculture for many years.
3 [no object] Suffer from sudden and painful contractions of a muscle or muscles.
- Her hand had such low muscle tone that it cramped painfully as she tried to control the pencil when she wrote.
- The first day back, my quadricep muscle was cramping.
- There are a number of possible reasons for muscles to cramp up.
cramp someone's style
- informal Prevent a person from acting freely or naturally.Example sentences
- He said it cramps his style of getting really big bucks from Fat Cats.
- The truth has not cramped their style in the past and is unlikely to do so during the current confirmation hearings.
- A coalition government and a secular constitution have cramped their style.
Words that rhyme with crampamp, camp, champ, clamp, damp, encamp, gamp, lamp, ramp, samp, scamp, stamp, tamp, tramp, vamp
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.