Definition of cranesbill in English:
A herbaceous plant that typically has lobed leaves and purple, violet, or pink five-petaled flowers.
- Genus Geranium, family Geraniaceae: several species, including the common meadow cranesbill (G. pratense), with deeply toothed leaves and bluish-purple flowers
- If you lack the time or expertise to plant your own cranesbills, lay a bluestone walk, or install terraces.
- There are millions upon millions of ruby bloody cranesbills.
- He's counted 16 species of the ‘prettier’ wildflowers, including cranesbill, figwort and dog rose.
mid 16th century: so named because of the long spur on the fruit, thought to resemble a crane's beak.
Definition of cranesbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan