A telephone call made to disturb, annoy, or trick someone, often anonymously: she had been getting a lot of crank calls and so she wasn’t answering her phone I don’t know if it was a crank call or a real threat
More example sentences
- I hadn't said anything to my wife about the latest crank call.
- This is great news to a kid who regularly used up all the credit on his phone making crank calls with his school friends.
- Now I know who made that crank call in the middle of the night.
crank caller noun
- Example sentences
- An officer nearby said the whole thing was a hoax, a crank caller pranking 911.
- In the past few weeks I've been plagued by a crank caller.
- At this point, I'm trying to decide if this is a crank caller or if he's for real.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: crank call
Definition of crank call in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.