An extinct carnivorous mammal of the early Tertiary period, ancestral to modern carnivores.
- Order Creodonta: several families
More example sentences
- Read about marsupials and creodonts who also grew ‘long in the tooth’.
- In creodont carnivores, such as Hemipsalodon studied here, upper molars have carnassial blades as well.
- The brain of the creodonts was generally of relatively small size and their intelligence presumably low.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Creodonta (plural), from Greek kreas 'flesh' + odous, odont- 'tooth'.
Definition of creodont in:
- The British & World English dictionary