Definition of creolize in English:
Form (a Creole language) from the contact of two languages: (as adjective creolized) a creolized variety of French
More example sentences
- What evolved was a partially creolised form of Dutch which became the mother tongue not only of the Cape Dutch minority, but also of the non-white majority of the population.
- No doubt, this new humanitarianism also reflected the fact that the missionaries now preached to an increasingly creolized population.
- This is a highly creolized archive - a patrimony that resists any simple fixing of national identity.
- Example sentences
- In sociolinguistic terms, Tok Pisin is an expanded pidgin currently undergoing creolization.
- Distinctive marking of structures such as relative clauses comes later in the stabilization or expansion phase of the pidgin life cycle, or arises in the process of creolization.
- The violence of their efforts warns against a sense that cultural creolization involves merely the intertwining of different cultural strands.
Definition of creolize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia