Make a crackling sound: the night crepitates with an airy, whistling cacophony (as adjective crepitating) spidery fingers of crepitating electricity
More example sentences
- I remember sitting in despair as I felt my ribs crepitate with every breath.
- She put her clothes back down while listening to the crepitating sound from the dry leaves in Leo's cage and then walked down the stairs and jumped onto the couch turning to the TV.
- The rain crepitated against the side of my shell.
early 17th century (in the sense 'break wind'): from Latin crepitat- 'crackled, rustled', from the verb crepitare, from crepare 'to rattle'.
- More example sentences
- The skeletal muscle was crepitant, with myonecrosis and gram-positive rods on Gram stain.
- Because of this reason we reported a case of a nonclostridial crepitant cellulitis which is due to Escherichia coli.
- Auscultation revealed diffuse crepitant and bubbling stertors in both lungs and the patient presented petechia on the limbs (except for the extremities).
Definition of crepitate in:
- The British & World English dictionary